Re: How do I depend on a port regardless of its flavor?

From: Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 01:31:05 UTC
Mel Pilgrim wrote on 2022/12/17 20:19:
> No, that's the point I've been getting at: it needs to work regardless of the flavor installed.
> No, that is making it flavor-specific.  It just changes the dependency to whatever is installed at build time, not creating a dependency that will work with an as-yet-unknown flavour.
> We appear to be miscommunicating about this.  The port that depends on the flavoured post cannot know ANYTHING about which flavor is or will be installed.  Not only is that knowledge is entirely outside the port's baliwick, it isn't even knowable yet.  The user needs to be able to swap out the flavor at will via pkgs and still have this dependency work without manual intervention.

Hmmm, since depending on any FLAVOR to work fine would mean depending on files and commands that exist no matter which FLAVOR is installed...
I think it means that the method of specifying PKGNAME and version range cannot be used when depending on a port that changes PKGNAME{PREFIX,SUFFIX} by FLAVOR.

> I'm not sure how else to phrase this, so if this still isn't clear please do say so.

Since my text is also generated by a translation tool, I apologize if there are any strange words or grammar.

Regards.