Re: Request for Testing: TCP RACK

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:40:53 UTC
On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:41:13 +0100
tuexen@freebsd.org wrote:

> > On 16. Mar 2024, at 08:57, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > On a laptop i7/16MB ram, desktop use and port testing (poudriere) I've
> > noticed that all operations on OS was increased by 3 to 5 times
> > longer.
> > examples:
> > - firefox took way long time to open
> > - poudriere testport tooked up to 3 times longer to finished
>
> make.conf:
> KERNCONF=GENERIC-NODEBUG
> src.conf:
> WITH_MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes
>
> tested on main-n268800-6a6ec90681cf
>

> How did you enable the RACK stack? Does the poudriere involve
> network interaction?

Interesting.  RACK works for me:

net.inet.tcp.functions_available:
Stack                           D Alias                            PCB count
freebsd                           freebsd                          0
rack                            * rack                             23

I don't see any lags when starting/using FireFox or any other browser.

Mail delivery (in/out) is also not affected.

But GENERIC, which is loaded by GENERIC-NODEBUG, doesn't support RACK.

These entries are missing in GENERIC:

makeoptions     WITH_EXTRA_TCP_STACKS=1
options         TCPHPTS
options         TCP_RACK