Re: Sporadic DNS failure

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 05:09:52 UTC
On 2024-03-14 21:13, Sreenath Battalahalli wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your message.
> The wifi continues to be associated with access point, and I can ping 1.1.11
> as well.
> My USB wifi interface is rtwn(earlier urtwn)
>
> It is just that DNS queries fail, even when 1.1.1.1 is accessible, at least
> to ping.
>
> Is it possible that UDP communication is failing?
> Is there any log information that can shed more light on the issue?
If ping(8) is your only failure. I'd not be surprised that those addresses
you're pinging
drop ICMP packets. As they're frequently used in attacks. The FreeBSD ping(8)
used to also
have an alternate (UDP?) option. My advice; try (pinging/tracerouting)
additional hosts
before concluding it's your DNS/network. Perl.com, fe; doesn't drop ICMP
echo, neither does
microsoft.com. If you get a response. It's probably just the hosts you've
been using. Not
your DNS/Net.

--Chris