Re: Simulating guitar stack

From: Florian Walpen <dev_at_submerge.ch>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 21:16:29 UTC
Hi Meka,

On Tuesday, April 30, 2024 12:30:14 PM CEST Goran Mekić wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For quite a few years I know impulse response exists. Few days ago I
> learned that neural audio exists and that
> https://github.com/brummer10/Ratatouille.lv2 combines these two
> technologies and makes it easy to use.

I did experiment some years ago. That didn't include neural amp models back
then, but I just had a listen to some current NAM demos and my verdict is
still the same:

 - Most pedals can be easily reproduced in software.
 - Nothing in software sounds like a real tube amp (yet).
 - Speakers can be reproduced well by IR software.

Means if you really care about tube amp tone, use a tube amp or at least a
hardware amp modeler that utilizes tubes (I have an old one made by VOX). That
said, many people will not hear the difference in a complete mix, and for
heavily distorted sounds it's less relevant.

I personally don't use software effect pedals. For Speaker simulation I
recommend the lsp-plugins IR processor, and I apply some older free IRs from
Kalthallen Cabs.

> I anyone in FreeBSD community
> working/experimenting with these and if yes, how does one generates IR
> and neural audio on FreeBSD? If it's still not possible on FreeBSD, does
> anyone know what's missing? I would be very much interested in porting
> the required libs/apps. Thank you!

For the reasons above I am not that interested, but I can certainly try to
help if you get stuck somewhere. There seem to be a variety of tools available
for linux. Maybe just start by porting the Ratatouille plugin and go for model
creation later?

Cheers

Florian