Re: set : illegal option -o pipefail error while trying to upgrade pkg.

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:53:53 UTC
OK. On your 10.x arm system, you need to build /bin/sh using sources from
FreeBSD 13.
Binaries from 12 or 13 won't work on your 10.x system: libc doesn't have
the right symbols.
But source build against a 10.x system should work. That was my suggestion.
Too bad
pipefail didn't arrive until 14. So you'll need to build that on your 14
system.

But it turns out that's a bit of a hassle. Well, not a huge hassle, I had
to do the following.
First, set up a FreeBSD 10.4 armv6 chroot and install qemu-user-static. See
https://gist.github.com/bsdimp/0f2f294c7441ebf68a8ffebab935bd2c for details.
Or you could just run the RPI-B image on a real RPI-B. It would be more of
a hassle and only marginally faster.

Next, I created a worktree and a side branch (using the same paths in the
gist
above, note my origin is freebsd but the default is origin):
% cd git/freebsd-src
% mkdir ~/arm10/imp
% git worktree add -b arm10-14 ~/arm10/imp/stable-14 freebsd/stable/14
I then had to apply these patches:
https://people.freebsd.org/~imp/14-sh-on-10.diff
which coped with history / libedit overhaul and O_VERIFY being added to
the system. OK, truth be told I iterated a bunch to get the patch... I had
no
reason to think these changes were needed before I started...

Next, I got into the emulated arm tree:
% sudo chroot ~/arm10 /bin/sh
# cd /imp/stable-14/
# patch -p1 < 14-sh-on-10.diff
# make SSP_CFLAGS= WITHOUT_TESTS=t WITHOUT_MAN=t DEBUG_FILES_CFLAGS= WARNS=0
... lots of output, ignore the warnings
# set -o pipefail
set: Illegal option -o pipefail
# /usr/obj/imp/stable-14/arm.armv6/bin/sh/sh
# set -o pipefail
# ^D
#

So success! But all that's a hassle, so I also uploaded the sh to
https://people.freebsd.org/~imp/sh14-on-10.armv6
so you can just try it. I don't know if this will fix the problem that put
us down
this rabbit hole in the first place or not. But maybe some of the above is
helpful
or useful for other reasons.

Hope this helps.

Warner