Re: The Case for Rust (in the base system)

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:20:43 UTC
Hi,

Somewhat adjacent to this discussion - what I'd like [1] to see, as a user
rather than a developer, is a system-stable rust, so that if/when
something needs rust, it uses the system-specific version.

Let's say when there's a new freebsd version. This has, say, rust v1.72.
It's not src-rust in that rust wouldn't be used to build freebsd source.
But the binaries would be there, selectable on freebsd installation,
much as one can select kern-dbg from the installer.

Then in ports, one of the options might be 'use system rust' [X]
so avoiding the churn that happens constantly.

[1] I have no idea how feasible this would be, or even if it's possible.
     I hope it's not a stupid question.