Re: list of valid ABI combinations

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:57:18 UTC
On Jan 15, 2024, at 08:58, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2024, at 3:00 AM, Mark Millard wrote:

>> I'm back to having my normal internet access.

>>> Yes.  Please let clusteradm know if the notes don't appear to reflect reality.
>>>
>>> clusteradm maintains the pkgsync infrastructure, which includes the index page on the mirrors.  pkgmgr is responsible for scheduling the builds.  (And ports committers are responsible for making sure packages are even buildable).

>>> The pkgsync infrastructure doesn't really care how often packages are updated.  If memory serves, we first added a "quarterly only" note when the thunderxX generation of aarch64 builders broke with distressing regularity.  The ampereX builders are much more reliable.
>>>
>>> I think the current situation for armv6 is "updated irregularly".  PowerPC is in the same boat as aarch64 in the ThunderX era: when the hardware works, packages are updated.
>>>
>>> . . .
>>> Philip
>>>
>>> --
>>> Philip Paeps
>>> Senior Reality Engineer
>>> Alternative Enterprises
>>
>> Using https://dev.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/pkg looking for
>> versions involved that are prior to 1.20.* at this point
>> (or being "-") but having also a 1.20.* involved (or both
>> being "-"), hovering in order to see dates when available
>> . .
>>

>> Not-reported / misreported on https://pkg.freebsd.org/ :
>>
>> FreeBSD:13:armv6 latest 1.16.2 (2021-01-25) vs. quarterly 1.19.2 (2023-09-05)
>> So only quarterly is updated (and not regularly?).
>>
>> FreeBSD:14:armv6 latest 1.19.0 (2023-01-15) vs. quarterly -
>> So only latest is/was updated (and not regularly).
>>
>> FreeBSD:14:powerpc64 latest - vs. quarterly -
>> So neither latest nor quarterly is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:aarch64 latest 1.20.9 (2023-11-25) vs. quarterly -
>> So only latest is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:amd64 latest 1.20.9 (2023-11-25) vs. quarterly -
>> So only latest is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:armv7 latest 1.20.9 (2023-11-25) vs. quarterly -
>> So only latest is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:powerpc latest - vs. quarterly -
>> So neither latest nor quarterly is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:powerpc64 latest - vs. quarterly -
>> So neither latest nor quarterly is updated.
>>
>> FreeBSD:15:powerpc64le latest 1.20.9 (2023-11-25) vs. quarterly -
>> So only latest is updated.
>

> Mark: My reading of your email saying the above items are something for clusteradm to consider?

Yes. Philip P. had requested to let clusteradm know "if the
notes don't appear to reflect reality". I did that once I
got general internet access back.

Since there are no detailed criteria for the categorizations,
they may well consider a subset of what I reported as
appropriate to deal with. That is part of why I listed
versions (or "-") and dates (when available).

> As opposed to FreshPorts needs to do something.

I just used Freshports to find the time frames for ports-mgmt/pkg.
I did not run into any oddities when I did so. It gives a good
way to occasionally manually check on the status of the notes.

So, more background information for you than anything.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com