Re: GPU programming?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 07:55:58 UTC
Am 2024-02-04 21:51, schrieb Steve Kargl:
> See the second paragraph of my initial post.  AMD provides
> ROCm and Nvidia supplies CUDA.  These appear to be available
> for Windows and Linux.  Are there any software/hardware drivers
> required to actually accomplish the offloading?

CUDA: requires parts (at least some libs) from NVidia which are not
ported to FreeBSD. I have seen reports that at least parts of the linux
parts work in the linuxulator
(https://github.com/verm/freebsd-stable-diffusion). If you want to use a
FreeBSD system to do that, I would suggest to use a VM with linux and
give it raw access to the card. Not nice (from a FreeBSD side of
things), but most probably the most pragmatic solution to get all what
is needed in a easy way.

ROCm: No idea. I have not seen any report about it working or even being
tried. But there was at least some discussion about it:
     https://github.com/ROCm/ROCm/issues/138
     https://github.com/ROCm/ROCm/issues/1913

Intel: Maybe. We have spirv ports in the tree, and my limited
understanding is, that SPIR-V comes into play when someone wants to do
GPU compute there. CCing Jan as the port maintainer for the two spirv
ports. Maybe he can shed some light on this part.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF