Re: Trouble booting current on ARM

From: Daniel O'Connor <darius_at_dons.net.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 10:48:04 UTC
Hi Christopherm,,

> On 6 Sep 2023, at 15:23, Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies if this is a duplicate but I didn’t see this come out on the list:
>
> I’ve been using an Arty-Z7 from Diligent for several years now.  This is a AMD/Xilinx ZYNQ based board.  It’s mostly similar to a ZED board which has an in tree kernel config.  It has worked fine with 13.0.  I’m now looking to mowe my work forward and keep pace with the project.  I’d like to eventually upgrade to 14.0 when it comes out.  In preparation I built a new release using sources from after the 14.0 branch.  I’m able to cross build fine but when I boot the kernel I see the crash below,  Has anyone seen panic: Storing an invalid VFP state.  Any information or ideas about what might be happening before I try to debug?  Any information at all would be helpful.
>
> Is anyone else running a Zynq based board of any kind with a recent 14.0 or current kernel?

I don't have any experience as yet but I do have a Zynq board I am playing around with so your experience is interesting :)

> panic: Storing an invalid VFP state

Regarding the panic - it is only checked when INVARIANTS is on, so if you previously had been using stable it would not be on by default.

ie the problem may have always been present but masked.

I would try #if'ing out the KASSERT in sys/arm64/arm64/vfp.c around line 190 and see what else breaks.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."