OpenSSL 1.1.1t vs OpenSSL 3.1.4 linking on 13.2

From: Timothy Legge <timlegge_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 01:00:04 UTC
Hi

I have been updating a Perl CPAN module for OpenSSL v3. and ran into
an issue when testing in a clean FreeBSD 13.2 install with OpenSSL v3
installed.

So clean install and then install v3 via sudo pkg install openssl31

When I build Crtpt::OpenSSL::Blowfish (from
https://github.com/perl-openssl/perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-Blowfish.git) with:

perl Makefile.PL
make

It builds and links against openssl3.1.4

When I attempt:

make test

It attempts to load the openssl 1.1.1t library.

If I do:

export set OPENSSL_PREFIX=/usr

and add the following line to the Makefile.PL then
OpenSSL::Crypt::Guess correctly finds openssl 1.1.1t and links to it:

$args{CCFLAGS} = openssl_lib_paths();

So, is there a way on FreeBSD to figure out which openssl version is
the default?  Is there a method that you can think of that can solve
the linking/run issue without requiring the OPENSSL_PREFIX to be set
for Crypt::OpenSSL::Guess's benefit.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Tim

Timothy Legge