Re: User-Agent: and In-Reply-To:

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 17:36:38 UTC
On Mar 26, 2023, at 10:06, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_freebsd.org> wrote on
> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:59:22 UTC :
>
>> Not to start a long debate (or rant), I'm curious.
>>
>> Mark, Peter, please: what do you use to send email?
>>
>> A recent discussion is split across twelve threads; screenshot attached.
>>
>> I looked at headers for a handful of the splits. If I'm not mistaken:
>> neither a *User-Agent*: field, nor an *In-Reply-To*: field.
>
> My subscription to this list is via:
>
> Subscribe without receiving mails: freebsd-hackers+subscribe-nomail@freebsd.org
>
> and I read the list via a web browser, not via an
> E-mail client. (For example, I've not received your
> query via E-mail so far and I read your query in
> a web browser.)
>
> This ends up meaning that some of my notes to the list
> are from constructing the note from a web page that
> I'm viewing. (Like this note.) Other times I've been
> TO'd or CC'd and have received it in E-mail as well
> and I've happened to reply to that. Thus a mix occurs
> overall.

Looks like my answer covered In-Reply-To but not User-Agent.

It appears that the analogy(s) for User-Agent for my E-mail
client might be one or both of:

I'll also note that I've always read the list via the likes of:

https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2023-March/date.html

So I'd not seen the "by thread" mess.

===
Mark Millard