Is anyone working on VirtFS (FUSE over VirtIO)

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:46:06 UTC
Hi,

For running FreeBSD containers on macOS, I’m using dfr’s update of the 9pfs client code.  This seems to work fine but Podman is in the process of moving from using QEMU to using Apple’s native hypervisor frameworks.  These don’t provide 9pfs servers and instead provide a native VirtFS server (macOS now ships with a native VirtFS client, as does Linux).

I believe the component bits for at least a functional implementation already exist (FUSE and a VirtIO transport), though I’m not sure about the parts for sharing buffer cache pages with the host.  Is anyone working on connecting these together?

David