Re: Behavior of /dev/pts in a jail?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen_at_sdaoden.eu>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 13:37:09 UTC
Michael Gmelin wrote in
 <20220209142152.13373548.grembo@freebsd.org>:
 |On Wed, 09 Feb 2022 13:22:13 +0100
 |Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
 |> Quoting Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org> (from Wed, 9 Feb 2022
 |> 12:56:49 +0100):
 |>
 |>> I was able to reproduce the issue locally.
 |>>
 |>> The problem is caused by jexec inheriting the pty from the jail
 |>> host.
 |>>
 |>> If you use a pty that was created inside of the jail,
 |>> gpg-agent/pinentry works as expected.
 |>>
 |>> This can be accomplished, e.g., by running tmux inside of the jail:
 |>>
 |>>     jexec gpgtest
 |>>     pkg install tmux
 |>>     tmux
 |>>     gpg --gen-key
 |Maybe someone with more insights to how jails work internally could
 |give their input here.
 |
 |In the meantime, tmux is probably the most lightweight way of working
 |around this in your specific use-case, without having to run sshd.

dtach.  It is much more lightweight.  I use it on the server to
hold a containerized irssi-proxy instance to which i can connect
to via VPN (from a of window of my local tmux).
I track it for years now (it is stable for many years) after
having been pointed to it by a good Japanese Spirit that sometimes
crosses here and there .. and it just works.

--steffen