Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 12:51:02 UTC
> On 11/23/2021 9:01 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> On 23/11/2021 23:41, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
>>> Hello FreeBSD community,
>>>
>>> The Foundation is seeking suggestions for new projects to support.  What
>>> gaps in the Project are not being addressed by the broader community?
>>>
>>> You can read about past Foundation-supported projects at
>>> https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-work/projects/ and the Foundation's
>>> four main areas of focus in the 'Technology Roadmap' article at
>>> https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/technology-roadmap/.
>>>
>>> Right now we are gathering ideas.  We will send out a call for project
>>> grant proposals soon.  If you prefer to send your project ideas directly
>>> to the Foundation, we will be monitoring responses at
>>> techteam_at_freebsdfoundation.org.
>>
>> I would really like to see Foundation sponsored project to bring SMBv2
>> and SMBv3 support in to smbfs in base instead of deprecating smbfs / CIFS.
>>
>> FreeBSD is the only one widely used operating system lacking support for
>> modern SMB / CIFS versions. SMB is still widely used in desktops and
>> servers environment for mounting shares between different OSes.
>>
>> The latest thread from October with this discussion can be found in
>> freebsd-current_at_ archive
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-October/000893.html
>> And continuing in November
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-November/000915.html
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Miroslav Lachman
>>

> Ed Maste and I looked at this a bit a few weeks ago, and it seems there
> is a version in IllumOS that is based on the old smbfs that is in
> FreeBSD, and it might be an "relatively" easy path forward. Just need
> someone with the interest, time, and background knowledge to actually
> work on it.
>
> --
> Allan Jude

(Re-sent as not yet reached after nearly one day.)

+1.

Some NAS (and Windoze, too?) already made SMB1 default-off (at least,
Synology DSM 6 and 7 has option to re-enable it currently).

It's important for me to have newer (ideally, latest) version of
SMB/CIFS support on FreeBSD smbfs.ko. But I noticed I'm not enough
skilled and having not enough time to port it when I partially looked in
Darwin source few years ago. :-(

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>