Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

From: Xin Li <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 22:48:04 UTC
On 2023-12-23 10:17, Ceri Davies wrote:
> I really don’t like the idea of adding flags that make the program ignore a config file.  I also think this is premature until ZFS installs are default on all architectures.
>
> However, if you must (and I see you have) change this, please don’t call the option “legacy” as we wish to deprecate other behaviour in the future or add additional compression algorithms.
> Perhaps it could be called “useconfig” or something that describes what it actually does.
>
> Also, could you please update the manage commit to note the change in 15.0 because not everyone reads commit logs and we may end up violating the PoLA twice otherwise.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the commit. I want to clarify
that my recent change does not alter the existing behavior of the code.
In fact, the current legacy test cases still pass successfully. The
modification I introduced primarily adds the option to override the
default compression setting.

Regarding your suggestion to rename the “legacy” option, the term was
chosen to reflect its purpose – to preserve historical behavior while
acknowledging that it may be phased out in the future. Adding new
letters to the configuration format isn't scalable and lacks
flexibility. Especially, consider an application that install their own
newsyslog.conf.d configuration, in which case the configuration is
overwritten during upgrades, or has to have some way to solve merge
conflicts, should they decide to add new log files, etc.  There's no
practical reason for users to adhere to a specific compression method
that the application writer told them, because the administrator have
better idea about what compressor is more suitable for their situation.

I'll add a note to the release notes later, but rest assured that there
is no PoLA violation yet.

Cheers,