Re: /usr/sbin/etcupdate -D/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/main-CA7-chroot -s /usr/main-src -M TARGET_ARCH=armv7 ends up building dtc !

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:23:54 UTC
On Aug 13, 2023, at 01:06, Mina Galić <freebsd@igalic.co> wrote:

> from IRC, i have learned this is working as designed:
> etcupdate without -B does a build.

My interpretation of what "build" referred to for
etcupate was way off. I've added the -B's that I
was not using before.

Thanks for the note!

> Also, jrtc27 recently made it so bootstrapping, because otherwise BUILD_WITH_STRICT_TMPPATH doesn't work: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/commit/d81da4c98328d4ee3fe4c0a85f6874a3c69a1afd

Yep: that added what leads to the dtc build.

I still wonder if etcupdate builds more than it needs to
for its specific pruposes when it does do a build:
building dtc in order to complete an etcupdate just seems
time/resource wasting.

But, at least I'm using -B in the future.

> Kind regards,
> Mina Galić

===
Mark Millard