Re: textdumps are too slow

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 22:07:13 UTC
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 12:08?PM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 6:20?AM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> >>
> >> --------

> >> Ok, that must truly be sucky hardware...
> >

> > That's 10x slower than 1990s era VGA cards then... 115200 is 11k characters a second,
> > and FreeBSD on 1990s era VGA cards was in excess of 1MB/s, faster if not a pure ISA
> > card... Video hardware that's slower than *THAT* likely indicates a big big problem in
> > our video stack.
> >
> > Warner
>
> While I'm logged into the video terminal in a normal login session, I
> measure about 28M characters/second.  So maybe the slow speed is due
> to something inefficient in ddb(4).

Do you mean to a physically connected vga display and usb/ps2 connected
keyboard, or do you mean a serially connected video terminal, or something
else like a console created by a BMC?

One other thing that could be at issue is a console redirection via
serial port, that can make "VGA device" performance appear abismal.