USB Disk Stalls on -current

From: Sean Bruno <sbruno_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 17:14:50 UTC
I'm doing something "gross" with ZFS & Plex on a little Intel NUC that I
have here at the house to provide me with a nice little NAS at home.
I'm using 2x USB2 external disks as the mirror.

I noted that the two USB2 disks I'm using in a mirror seem to "stall"
from time to time and its not clear to me why.

I'd like to poke further into the USB system but I'm not sure where I
should start to see if there is something amiss with the hardware (e.g.
the disks suck) or if FreeBSD is losing track of something during I/O
leading to a stall/timeout.

I'm not seeing data loss or anything, I just note from time to time
during large file transfers that the clanking/grinding sound of the
spinning rust on my desk completely stops, the encoding of the video
files stops (so its waiting for a read to complete) and its gets much
quieter in my office.  :-)

sean