Re: recover deleted file

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_iitbombay.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:46:56 UTC
This may help? I’ve no experience with it, I just googled it for you. The comp.sources.misc usenet group in volume 17 issue 23 (in 1991) has an undelete program that supposedly works with 4.3BSD — probably won’t work with FreeBSD’s version but if you’re desperate it could be a starting point.
https://www.ufsexplorer.com/solutions/recover-deleted-files-bsd.php

Since you asked for advice, this may just be the nature’s way of telling you you really didn’t need the file. It can be a very “free”ing experience :-)