Re: Future of ident(1)

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:47:19 UTC
Has anyone considered that ident(1) works on all the binaries
produced by FreeBSD for the first 25 years it existed?

Ie, you can run ident on a FreeBSD 1.0 binary...
I also believe it can be run on binaries from many other
systems.

So though we have lost the data in FreeBSD 14, the other
data still exists, and though some might call this obscure,
others of us find this data pricessless in figuring out
from which a binary was made.

Regards,
Rod