Re: When will FreeBSD support RPI5?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:32:05 UTC
On Jan 13, 2024, at 07:38, Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org> wrote:

> Getting back to the RPI 5, with a tweak to arm/broadcom/bcm2835bcm2835_vcbus.c to treat the memory config the same as RPI 4 and to dev/sdhci/sdhci_fdt.c to treat the RPI 5 sdhci controllers as generic, I can boot to multiuser mode using the EDK2 firmware from https://github.com/worproject/rpi5-uefi with ACPI/Device Tree mode set to Both.

What does FreeBSD do with "Both"? Does it actually use some ACPI
and some Device Tree? Or does it just use ACPI? Does your
combination do anything different than just using ACPI?

> This does not have working PCIe or ethernet yet - I think ethernet ought to work since we seem to have a matching driver in the tree in dev/cadence.

Sounds like the same status as booting just ACPI with no such
adjustments too bcm2835bcm2835_vcbus.c or sdhci_fdt.c ?

I think Mike Karels plans on investigating getting Ethernet
going based on cgem . I've no clue if this is ACPI, DeviceTree,
or both.

My usage has been pure ACPI, no software adjustments specific
to getting the RPi5 operational. Use of a USB3 Ethernet dongle.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com