Re: USB-serial adapter suggestions needed

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:16:36 UTC
On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 05:03:42PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2024, at 14:47, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

[transcript of ssh-tip disconnect omitted]

> Interesting.
>
> www.zefox.org is the aarch64 that is not configured in config.txt
> in the normal aarch64 manor. As I've requested before, please test
> using a config.txt that instead has:
>
> QUOTE
> [all]
> arm_64bit=1
> dtparam=audio=on,i2c_arm=on,spi=on
> dtoverlay=mmc
> dtoverlay=disable-bt
> device_tree_address=0x4000
> kernel=u-boot.bin
>
> [pi4]
> hdmi_safe=1
> armstub=armstub8-gic.bin
>
> # Local addition:
> [all]
> force_mac_address=b8:27:eb:71:46:4f
> END QUOTE
>
> Please do not use a configuration based in part on armv7 FreeBSD
> config.txt material any more for the testing activity: Just use
> the FreeBSD normal aarch64 configuration with the force_mac_address
> related material added at the end.
>
> I want to know if this also fails when powerd is not in
> use anywhere.

I'd like to let the the present OS build/install cycle complete.
Then I'll replace config.txt on www.zefox.org and reboot.
That should be done in another day or two. The remote console
disconnect reported above hasn't happened again, all consoles
have stayed connected and responsive.

> [I assume that the "The Pi4 workstation" is the "pi4 RasPiOS
> workstation". True? Presuming yes: Is the RasPiOS the 64 bit
> variation? (Just my curiosity.)]

Yes. Uname -a reports
Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr  3 17:24:16
BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

> Do you run the buildworld on www.zefox.org and such via the
> tip session on pelorus.zefox.org ? Via an ssh session from the
> "pi4 RasPiOS workstation" to www.zefox.org ? More generally:
>
> A) What runs (if anything) via the tip session started from
>     pelorus.zefox.org ?
>
> B) What runs (if anything) via the ssh session connected to
>     www.zefox.org ?

In general the tip session is used only for observation or
troubleshooting. Ssh connections are used for other activity,
including OS build/install cycles, poudriere, etc. They are
usually placed in the background, writing to log files so that
accidental disconnects from the workstation don't stop them.

> A useful test would be to not have the tip command running
> on polaris.zefox.org and to just use the ssh to www.zfox.org
> instead to start the buildworld/buildkernel. So: No use
> of the serial connection when the buildworld is started or
> during the build(s). Using tip before that but quitting tip
> before starting to load the RPi4B would be okay for this type
> of test. The question would be if the:
>
> client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe
>
> still happens.
>
> (I'm not claiming that recovery if it fails would be nice. But
> finding out if it fails looks to be important.)
>
> The contrasting useful test would be to start the buildworld
> from the tip session on polaris.zefox.org and to not have any
> ssh session to www.zefox.org . The question would be if a
> failure of some kind still happens. (The tip session does not
> have a pipe in use as far as I know so the detail for
> identifying faulure would likely be different.)

Normal practice is to leave the tip sessions displaying the
console host's login prompt. So long as the console login is
responsive I can assume that host isn't hung.

> Another question would be: do both such tests fail? Just one
> (which)? None? So trying both tests eventually would be
> important.

In general, ssh sessions behave completely independently.
Ssh connections to tip sessions commonly fail but no other
ssh connection to that terminal server is disturbed visibly.

> It is important to have only one of the 2 types of connections
> in use during the buildworld/buildkernel and such activity for
> this type of test --and only the one instance of which ever
> type the active test is for.

Apologies if I didn't answer your question; I'm missing the gist.

It remains unclear where the disconnects to tip originate. If the tip
session is stopped by typing ~~. from the originating ssh instance I'm
returned to the shell on the terminal server. Ssh isn't disturbed. If
I type ~. the ssh session terminates and I'm back to the workstation's
shell. Would it be informative to start a tip session, then ssh in
separately and try to kill tip? I'd expect the ssh part of the link
to remain up. If not, would it be significant?

Occastionally warnings like
Jan 10 00:23:30 ns1 sshd[925]: error: beginning MaxStartups throttling
show up in console messages. Might those be relevant in some way?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska