Re: VirtualBox [and UTM/Parallels/VMWare/Hyper-V]

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 02:28:46 UTC
Do any of VirtualBox/UTM/Parallels/VMWare/Hyper-V allow the
system run to be from normal, external FreeBSD boot media?

Long ago, I used to use Hyper-V V1 on a amd64 system that
I could boot FreeBSD directly on or Windows 10 Pro
directly on. I had it set up so when I had booted from the
Windows 10 Pro media, I could use the FreeBSD direct-boot
media via Hyper-V.

(As I remember, Hyper-V V2 did not allow such. But it has
been a long time.)

These days, I've access to several aarch64 USB3 boot media
that I move from system to system and boot. Being able to
use them in the additional type of context could prove
handy.

As I understand, today's:

    • git: 172af24449cd - main - arm64: gicv3: setup PPIs on all APs after they're online Kyle Evans

is a stab at fixing a blocking issue for Hyper-V on
aarch64 booting FreeBSD.

(My understanding is that aarch64 Hyper-V is only
V2 style, which may prevent what I used to do.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com