Re: Nanopi R5S support and build guide

From: Matheus <lojas_at_arroway.org>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 13:55:41 UTC
> On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 6:50 PM Matheus <lojas@arroway.org> wrote:

>> >any guides in how to build images for it. I found the
>> >people.freebsd.org/~sos/ site that has some images, and one for it, but
>> >that seldom boots my board, and when it did, there was no console over
>> >serial or vga.

>> >good. But I can test and help build once I figure out how :)
>> >
>> >Hi Matheus
>> >
>> >The image at
>> >

>> https://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/current-RK356X-images/nano5-sdcard.img.gz
>> >
>> >for the Nanopi R5S does indeed boot with both HDMI output and serial
>> >console (1500000baud).
>> >
>> >The boot loader (EDK2 in FDT mode) is very picky on SD card quality
>> >though from experience, I works for me with Sandisk Ultra / Extreme
>> >cards but not with Samsung and cheap noname SD cards YMMV.
>>
>> Hi Søren,
>>
>> I had really issues on sd carda. I got it to boot once, but I was
>> printing
>> characters on screen at one per second. So I rebooted and don't remember
>> why rewrote the card. I can't boot anymore. Tried different cards,
>> SanDisk
>> ultra, no luck.
>>
>> I can boot an 13.2 image from the guy at personalbsd though. But there I
>> have just one ethernet.
>> On 13.2 I cannot list the ethernets nics using pciconf -lv, including
>> the
>> one that works. Is this expected?
>

> Yes. Did you try
> https://personalbsd.org/download/Business/FreeBSD-aarch64-14.0-CURRENT-NanoPi-R5S-20230402.img.xz
> ?
> This image should have support for pcie and all ethernet should work IIRC.
>
> Ganbold

Hi Ganbold,

I tried it and other 2 images and no success, including the image pointed
by Soren. Unfortunately I just got to boot one image from 14 but I
overwritten the sd card and can't remember which sd card and image :(

The only image I can make it boot is from 13.2R, and I got it installed
fine (using an EFI image from personalbsd from March 23).

Will wait for the next round of images for 14.

Thanks,

matheus