Re: FYI: upcoming 13.2-RELEASE vs. 8 GiByte RPi4B's based on U-Boot 2023.01 recently in use, given UEFI style booting

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:35:21 UTC
On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:48:59AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

>It is not the RPi* firmware vintage that drives the
>8 GiByte related boot failure: it is just 2023.01 of
>U-Boot.
>
>So only the u-boot.bin needs to be replaced, nothing
>else.

I wasn't aware of the detail, and not knowledgeable enough of the issue
so my "remedy" was a simplistic "the stuff in this msdos partition
worked, the other didn't" :D and thats why I replaced everything with
the exception of efi/*

I transferred the files on the msdos partition of the running 13.1-p6
system to the msdos partition of the main-n261544-cee09bda03c8 image,
wrote the image to usb then booted to it, then ran bsdinstall to install
it to external usb3 hd (zfs), tried to boot *that* and failed (it still
wouldn't boot from the hd because the installer still doesn't populate
the msdos partition of the hd with the full contents of the msdos bit
of the install medium). So booted back to the usb key again, plugged in
the hd after it fully booted, mounted the msdos partition of the hd onto
/mnt and copied all of /boot/msdos/* to it *except* /boot/msdos/efi.
Powered down, booted directly to the hd.

So now this rpi4 now has 13.1-p6 vintage msdos bits running
main-n261544-cee09bda03c8.

>But there are RPi* firmware vintage issues around:
>main [so: 14] and stable/13 have had the FreeBSD kernel
>fixed to allow recent RPi* firmware to boot.

what was fixed in the kernel?

>But releng/13.2 and before do not have that fix and so
>can not have RPi* firmware much more recent than is now
>FreeBBSD-standard ( sysutils/rpi-firmware ). This likely
>means that sysutils/rpi-firmware will be frozen until
>releng/13.3 (so: about another year).

I try not to mess with the firmware if I can help it.

>Note: I do not use freebsd-update to upgrade systems. But
>I've expect it to only do FreeBSD material, not RPi*
>firmware or U-Boot, just like bsd-install does not deal
>with any non-FreeBSD aspects of things.

that's what my expectation is too. The reason to use freebsd-update was
to have a stable reference system.