Re: Support for rockpi-s (rockchip rk3308)

From: Mario Marietto <marietto2008_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:35:32 UTC
I don't care at all about the world of smartphones. I care about me,what I
like and what my FreeBSD lovers like to have and to do. For sure we want a
mobile phone powered by FreeBSD. So,as I have already explained,maybe not
enough,the project would start as an internal hobby. No one understood
this,maybe. But I'm working on some kind of solution. I'm exploring what
the other users are doing and so on.

Some years ago I bought the blackberry passport because I like the form
factor,with the goal of hacking it one day [image: :)],installing Linux on
it. But years have passed and no one has been able to do that. So,some days
ago I got an idea : what about removing all the internal components of my
blackberry passport and replacing them with new hardware components,freebsd
compatible ? Personally I prefer a physical keyboard,like the blackberry
one. I think the most brutal work is to find a proper hardware with the
driver supported by freebsd,because I don't think we can do something if we
are forced to hire a lot of developers to write the drivers. We should be
smart. What still misses is a GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
<https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3-5665.php#> module for
placing phone calls,sms and internet with the relative freebsd driver. And
a good GPU integrated in a compatible mobo.

This is my preferite hobby : dirty your hands with u-boot fixes, EGL,
kernel patches. My preferite hobby is not to deal with the business model
or paying the developers. I'm very poor and inexperienced in this area. My
idea is to start this hobby trying to find the most hardware and software
already present on the market and call some developers to make minor fixes.
Not much more than this. For sure I don't want the project to turn into
thousands of dollars right away. Someone will in the future. Not me.

For sure not at the beginning. And not in the near future. If Linux is not
ready yet for mobile,how can it be FreeBSD ? Furthermore on the FreeBSD
forums I found a very hot welcome and experienced people who helped me a
lot for free. So I thought that kind of project might catch on. I must have
done something wrong. They probably help if it doesn't take up too much
time. But they didn't understand that such a project shouldn't take away
their time, because it's so complicated that it has to be carried out
slowly. Too bad they didn't understand this. And then I think they are too
realistic and they stopped dreaming. And maybe they think too much about
money.

--
Mario.