Re: keyboard doesn't work at Boot Menu

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 17:12:05 UTC
On Jun 17, 2023, at 08:52, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello Mark!

Hello  Nuno.

FYI: My example paths and such are from my main instead of a
stable/13 context. I may set up a stable/13 snapshot to better
match your context at some point, but not yet.

>> It is unclear what the context is here: Serial console? No serial console?
>>
>> What is in /boot/loader.conf ? I've a serial console context and have:
>>
>> boot_multicons="YES"
>> boot_serial="YES"
>>
> rpi4 connected to monitor via hdmi
>
> /boot/loader.conf:
>
> kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
> kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
> cryptodev_load="YES"
> zfs_load="YES"
>
>> Is the stable/13 from a specific *.img* file from the likes of:
>>
>> http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/13.2/?C=M&O=D
>>
>> ? If yes, which one? If self built, what commit was the build based on?
>>
>> Has this worked for you before? If yes, based on what commit back when
>> it last worked?
>>
> Instalation is from 13.2-RELEASE and firmware copied from it.

[Note: main has /boot/efi/ as a mount point for the msdosfs.
Your stable/13 my still have /boot/msdos/ instead. That might
even depend on the details of how and when the configuration
was set up. The efi directory in the msdosfs may be named EFI
or named efi as well. I show/use EFI to make the name distinct
from main's mount point name, making references clear about
which.]

The following are from in the msdosfs file system but are
not from sysutils/rpi-firmware or from
sysutils/u-boot-rpi-arm64 . (The detailed content, size,
date, and such will not match any stable/13 details here.)

# ls -Tld /boot/efi/EFI/*/*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  870956 Jun 13 18:24:42 2023 /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi

Is your bootaa64.efi the old ones from a 13.2-RELEASE ?
From a recent stable/13 snapshot? I'll note that:

loader: comconsole: don't unconditionally wipe out hw.uart.console Kyle Evans 2023-04-26

would not be in the old 13.2-RELEASE msdosfs file system
contents.

In general, you may want to update to be using msdosfs
content from, say, the most recent stable/13 snaphot
(preserving any adjustments that you have been making
to config.txt or the like):

http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/13.2/FreeBSD-13.2-STABLE-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20230615-894492f5bf4e-255597.img.xz

But, I'll note that updating BOOT/bootaa64.efi can be
done just by copying /boot/loader.efi to
BOOT/bootaa64.efi in the msdosfs.

> I'm tracking STABLE for some time and I'm at stable/13-n255602-e6c1e181ba7f

The snapshots contain things in final places that are not
in those places just by FreeBSD installation or
installation of ports. Have you been updating bootaa64.efi
by copying /boot/loader.efi to BOOT/bootaa64.efi in the
msdosfs?

> Since first instalation that keyboard doesn't work in Boot menu.

Another file that could have relevant content is
config.txt in the msdosfs.

>> Note: Warner's recent changes to stand/ for the subject area are only
>> in main [so: 14] so far. So it appears that the only fairly recent
>> change for such for stable/13 has been:
>>
>> loader: comconsole: don't unconditionally wipe out hw.uart.console Kyle Evans 2023-04-26

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com