Re: fans & ipmi on ampere emag with lenovo bmc

From: John F Carr <jfc_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:31:33 UTC
> On Sep 28, 2022, at 11:29 , Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at> wrote:
>
> With recent exorbitant price hikes for electricity in Austria, I'm
> looking how to reduce the fans on my eMAG HR330A when its idle.
>
> There's no obvious sysctls related to fans, but there are IPMI
> raw sequences available[1] which I can send to the remote BMC:
>
> ipmitool -I lanplus -U ... -P ... -H ... raw 0x3c 0x14 etc
>
> Has anybody got a better solution to managing fans & temperature?
>
> # demsg
> [14935] ipmi0: <IPMI System Interface> on acpi0
> [14935] ipmi0: SSIF interface not supported on ACPI

Looking at the source code (ipmi_acpi.c) the "not supported" message means what it says.
The driver does not offer the user an IPMI device for the combination (ACPI, SSIF).
It supports ACPI and SSIF, but not in combination.

I am not familiar with this feature but I have one of these systems with loud fans blowing
all the time and I am happy to help.  Right now "SSIF" is just a four letter word to me so
I need to do some reading.