Re: kernel update broke -current

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 19:52:28 UTC
On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 10:41 AM Mike Karels <mike@karels.net> wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2022, at 11:13, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 5, 2022 at 4:21 PM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote on
> >> Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 20:07:33 UTC :

> >> might

> >> One of the oddities of the update sequence instructions is
> >> the lack of coverage of the likes of:
> >>
> >> Load Path: /efi\boot\bootaa64.efi
> >>
> >> What step of the sequencing for the overall system update?
> >> When is such an update required? (Here the example would
> >> be: Before rebooting when the ZFS pool(s) possibly used to
> >> boot gain new features?) When is it not required to update
> >> the loader in the ESP (or analogous)? Even just knowing
> >> the stage at which one should do the update indicates some
> >> about when to figure out if an update is needed and so
> >> prompts to be ready.
> >>

> > Today:
> >
> > make installworld installkernel
>
> The procedure documented in the Handbook (section 24.6), and which
> I have always followed, is to install the kernel, reboot, and then
> make installworld.

Yes. And that reboot is tricky. Do not zpool upgrade at this stage. That's
the only reason you *MUST* update boot blocks that we don't put in updating.
And so far, there's no reason to put something specific in UPDATING,
though we did with the OpenZFS import since there was the zpool upgrade
issue then for sure.

Well, the other reason you'd need to upgrade your boot loader is if you
create a new zpool to put root on...

I think we likely need a generic note in UPDATING...

> The reason is to add any new kernel facilities
> used by libc or sysadmin utilities before installing components
> that require them.  I think that loader updates need to be an
> exception to the rule, not the rule.  This means that notes in
> UPDATING are crucial for required loader updates (e.g. when zfs is
> updated in a non-backward-compatible way.  Of course, the handbook
> does not mention upgrading loader.efi in the efi partition in the
> section on upgrading from source.

Correct. Generally, we try very hard to not make incompatible updates
to the boot loader. Generally, it can boot old and new kernels, can cope
with the different scripts that might be present, etc. The zpool upgrade
thing is a new wrinkle that we might want to, honestly, revisit policy
around (eg, have a treat unsupported features of the zpool as a warning
and give it your best shot). While we've had ZFS support forever, upstream
OpenZFS seems to accumulate more new features than we did at a faster
rate than before we switched.

> Fwiw, I thought that incompatible zpool updates were not supposed
> to be enabled until “zpool upgrade” is run, so that older kernels
> could access them.  This seems like it show go for loaders as well.
> This may be difficult during a development cycle, hence the need for
> UPDATING information.

To date, that's been 100% true of every instance of this that I've
investigated.

UPDATING likely needs to only be updated to admonish against zpool upgrade
without updating the boot blocks.

Warner