Re: sound on raspberry pi 4

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:38:17 UTC
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 03:50:49PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>Just curious. How do I test this?
>I have a Pi3B+ which I have always wanted to run FreeBSD on, but then
>getting FreeBSD Desktop is so much pain.
>How would I test accel video and sound on a Pi without getting stressed
>out? :-)

I have this running on a rpi2b+ (v1.1 board, so 32-bit). I imagine it'd be
much the same on rpi3b+

FreeBSD generic 13.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE #0 n250148-fc952ac2212-dirty:
Fri May 13 06:42:16 UTC 2022

generic kernel has this line added
device          vchiq                   # onboard sound

freebsd@generic:~ % sysctl -a | grep vchiq
dev.pcm.0.%parent: vchiq0
dev.vchiq.0.arm_log: 4
dev.vchiq.0.log: 4
dev.vchiq.0.%parent: simplebus0
dev.vchiq.0.%pnpinfo: name=mailbox@7e00b840 compat=brcm,bcm2836-vchiq
dev.vchiq.0.%location:
dev.vchiq.0.%driver: vchiq
dev.vchiq.0.%desc: BCM2835 VCHIQ
dev.vchiq.%parent:

the job of this rpi2b+ is internet radio. There's a single speaker attached to
the sound jack on the board. It uses mpv to play streams. Seems to work well.