Re: u-boot debug, was: Re: U-boot on RPI3, sees disk but won't boot it

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 02:38:23 UTC
On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 11:27:00PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

[big snip]
> On a possible issue: You have
>
> ugen1.6: <FTDI FT232R USB UART> at usbus1
>
> plugged in.

[snip]
> It might be worth experimenting with
> avoiding having more plugged in than:
>
> Boot USB drive (I count your powered hub as part of this)
> Ethernet cable
> serial console connection
> fan
> power

The buildworld/kernel completed without issue and it seemed
to help. Immediately afterward the machine reached
S=shutdown, M=mountroot, F=disk detect fail, R=reset

SSMSSSSMSSSF
Next I set device tree only, per your instructions and it reached
RSFRFRFR so I tried ACPI only, reaching
FR so I put back DT+ACPI, with result
SMMRSSMSSSSSSSMFRS at which time I pulled out the FT232 usb-serial link.

That reached
SSMSSSMSSMMMSSFFSFSSSFSSS

Looks to me like pulling the FT232 didn't help, DT+ACPI works better
than either alone.

35 shutdown -r
10 mountroot failures
9 disk detection failures

That's actually pretty good for the JMS577 enclosure. The world/kernel
upgrade to stable/13-5ec288b57: Wed Oct  5 16:55:43 PDT 2022 seems
to have been helpful (not sure why), omitting the FT232 didn't help
much, if at all.

Compared to yesterday I'm tempted to call it progress.

One thing I forgot to mention:

The microSD formerly hosted a RasPiOS installation. I simply
cleaned out the DOS partition and installed the EDK2 files.
At one point during buildworld I ran gstat and saw reports
of zero activity for the microSD partitions. I didn't think
the kernel would even notice them. Is that to be expected?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska