Re: u-boot debug, was: Re: U-boot on RPI3, sees disk but won't boot it

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 07:29:28 UTC
> Am 03.10.2022 um 08:48 schrieb Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>:
>
>> A while ago I saw a video discussion between you and Patrick Wildt about  the Wifi-driver he developed,
>> we could start there to port that driver , perhaps without using linuxkpi, just as an example.
>
> We need to have at least a functional Wifi driver for RBPI3/4. Networking is just a
> basic requirement for many applications, IoT. The FBSD foundation could put more effort on
> this part and support it.
>
> There are kits available in Europe a bit more expensive but you can still find them. For businesses
> RaspberryPI organization can help.
>
> Stefan

Hi,

as far as I remember, the foundation paid some devs for the sdio implementation.
But they stopped developing the brcmfmac-Wifi-drivers for some unknown reason.
The last time I looked into it on the Pi : sdio didn’t work for a simple reason :
There was a missing overlay in config.txt .
That’s one of the reasons why e.g. Mark and me often take focus on
the msdos partitions environment, u-boot etc.
Sometimes discussions like this sound weird but all has to do with the other :-)
For now we should have sdio working on the Pi with the MMCCAM kernel.
OpenBSD used their standard SD-driver IIRC so the next step
would be to port parts of OpenBSD`s driver to the fbsd-sdio …
somewhat superficially described but combine forces with some people here
We could have a good starting point to work on a driver, with or without the fbsd-foundation.
But there should be at least one FreeBSD developer who says:
Yes, that’s a good path to go if you guys can manage that …
I also think of IOT things like LoraWan and so on but having the onboard Wifi for brcmfmac should be a
good starting point, then BT and so on...but it's going to be a pretty dirty job :-)

Above Information without guarantee as I am not a FreeBSD member.

Regards

Klaus