Re: u-boot debug, was: Re: U-boot on RPI3, sees disk but won't boot it

From: Klaus_Küchemann <maciphone2_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 22:55:47 UTC

> Am 02.10.2022 um 23:48 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>
> On 2022-Oct-2, at 14:43, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-Oct-2, at 13:18, Klaus Küchemann <maciphone2@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . . .

>>> RaspiOS doesn’t , Ubuntu(and others) use u-boot since years …
>>> while possible Ubuntu(or others) have own u-boot patches ,
>>> from guessing it seems more probable that they also will sometimes hang after (re)boot.
>>
>> Sufficiently modern Ubuntu does not use U-Boot by
>> default, at least for server builds.
>>
>> ubuntu-22.04.1-preinstalled-server-arm64+raspi.img
>> has:
>>
>> # more /mnt/config.txt
>> [all]
>> kernel=vmlinuz
>> . . .
>>
>> where vmlinux is seen as:
>>
>> /mnt/vmlinuz
>
> I should have mentioned the naming convention that
> is in use: vmlinuz is a compressed variant of vmlinux
> as I remember the naming.
>
>> No use of U-Boot: direct booting of vmlinux via
>> the RPi* firmware's ability to do so.
>>
>> They do provide uboot_rpi_*.bin 's for folks that
>> want to change to use such:
>>
>> /mnt/uboot_rpi_3.bin
>> /mnt/uboot_rpi_4.bin
>> /mnt/uboot_rpi_arm64.bin
>>
>> But the supplied config.txt makes no mention of any
>> uboot*.bin and things have to be changed to cause
>> a uboot_rpi_*.bin to be involved.
>

> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com

Yeah, you’re right, according to their wiki @Pi3 they used u-boot as the default ,
but only for SD-card boot. To boot from USB they
indeed used bootcode.bin to boot vmlinuz.
So no option for fbsd to test with ubuntu-msdos for Pi3USB but perhaps other distros.

> Am 03.10.2022 um 00:06 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>:
>
> ……..
> Fedora’s U-Boot build has the same problem with
> the media type that FreeBSD's u-boot does.
>
> So I only deal with building one U-Boot in one
> environment. For my context, so far, things have
> been compatible enough to get by with this. Not
> that I'd recommend it as a general procedure.
>

> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com

Thanks for info,that’s what I assumed that there’s the same behavior on linux Fedora or others with u-boot.
Having things compatible enough ,as you said , seems the only option here with Pi3USB,
Unfortunately because of that we will probably not succeed patching for the 3b , since we do not use bootcode.bin to boot directly into FreeBSD.
For simplicity I would use the setup with the 30 or so successful reboots and ensure
Remote access to the u-boot console of the 3b.

Thanks,

Regards

Klaus