Re: Anyone working on ACPI fan control for the Honeycomb?

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 03:09:40 UTC
On 2021-Jul-4, at 18:58, Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone's working on ACPI fan control for the SolidRun Honeycomb? Under FreeBSD, the fan remains obnoxiously loud, and it's annoying enough that if nobody else is working on it I might tackle implementing support for spinning them down.

I'm using UEFI/ACPI and the fan spins but never at the noisy rate,
not even temporarily during boot. I have heard the loud noise
during the initial part of the boot of Fedora 34 server. It is
the same system with different boot media.

But Jon Nettleton is working on ACPI controlling the fan speed
without OS involvement (by default). If I understand right, in
part this is an avoidance of the i2c use that has other issues.

It is probably best to ask about the issues --and best long term
way of handling the fans-- on Discord.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com