Re: status of Heimdal in src

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 04:03:27 UTC
In message <ZY4Pu2Z-_iQfJKAK@ilythia.eden.le-fay.org>, Lexi Winter writes:
> hello,
>
> i'm interested in the status of Heimdal in src (src/crypto/heimdal).
> although the vendor branch was recently updated, it hasn't been merged
> into src for a long time: the current version is 1.5.2, which is over 10
> years old.  in particular, this version is missing newer cyphers, like
> the SHA2-based algorithms.
>
> is there something preventing a newer version from being merged, or is
> it just a lack of someone having time to work on it?  if the latter, i'd
> be interested in picking this up (or helping, if someone is already
> working on it).

I'm currently working on replacing Heimdal with MIT. The reasons for this
are threefold.

First, after importing Heimdal 7.7.0 locally, 7.8.0 failed to import.
They'd restructured the code enough to require significant restructuring of
makefiles.

Secondly, a large user of FreeBSD has requested replacing Heimdal with MIT.

Third. Popular demand. A substantial number of persons have suggested the
MIT upgrade.

IMO MIT is the gold standard. (Make this our fourth point.)

The MIT upgrade is an exercise in reverse engineering the GNU
configure/make build and implementing this within FreeBSD's bespoke build
system. IMO MIT is easier to work with than Heimdal.

Initially MIT will become an option, later becoming the default. And
finally removal of Heimdal. My target is sometime during the 15-CURRENT
life cycle. Hopefully this summer.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>